Magazine

FM College ~ News & Articles

What’s Ahead for this Hurricane Season?

Jun 2, 2023 | Public | 0 comments

June marks the official start of hurricane season, which runs through Nov. 30. But how many of these potentially dangerous storms should we expect (and prepare for) this year?

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) recently released its 2023 Atlanta Hurricane Season outlook, which forecasts a “near-normal” season. Specifically, the agency predicts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season, and a 30% chance of a below-normal season.

This year, NOAA is forecasting a range of 12 to 17 total named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), including 5 to 9 hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher). Up to 4 of these potential hurricanes are forecast to be “major hurricanes,” with winds of 111 mph or higher. NOAA has a 70% confidence in these ranges.

Despite the near-normal season expected, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) urged everyone to remain vigilant.

“As we saw with Hurricane Ian, it only takes one hurricane to cause widespread devastation and upend lives. So regardless of the number of storms predicted this season, it is critical that everyone understand their risk and heed the warnings of state and local officials,”said FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell.

FEMA also noted that hurricanes don’t just affect coastal communities; these powerful storms can bring wind and flooding to areas far inland.

“The time to prepare is now,” said Criswell.

NOAA’s outlook is for overall seasonal activity and is not a landfall forecast. In addition to the Atlantic seasonal outlook, NOAA also issues seasonal hurricane outlooks for the eastern Pacific and central Pacific hurricane basins. NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center will update the 2023 Atlantic outlook in early August, just prior to the historical peak of the season.

ALSO READ: Back to Basics: Preparing Your Facility for Hurricanes

The post What’s Ahead for this Hurricane Season? appeared first on Facilities Management Advisor.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

3 considerations for designing healthy, adaptable student dining

Every student life project possesses its own unique reflection of the campus in which it resides. Student dining facilities...

Downtown Edmonton plaza opens to public

Centennial Plaza in downtown Edmonton is now open, offering an attractive, family-friendly and accessible space. Located in...

40+ courses on renewable energy transitions, technology and financing

Editor’s note: This is part of a series on closing the sustainability skills gap with the resources available right now....

Making the Case for Infrared Heating Solutions in Warehouses

Although the summer might seem like an odd time to be thinking about heating, it could be the perfect opportunity to get...

Geisinger Medical Center Expansion Project Announced

The $880 million project is slated to be complete and open in 2028. Geisinger officials announced major plans to make...